Saturday, April 12, 2008

I'm gonna be

When I wake up yeah I know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who wakes up next to you.
When I go out yeah I know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who goes along with you.

But I would walk 500 miles,
And I would walk 500 more,
Just to be the man who walks 5000 miles,
To fall down at your door.

When I come home yeah I know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who comes back home to you.
And if I grow old well I know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who's growing old with you.

- Proclaimers, "I'm gonna be"


After walking past "The Mussel Guys" several times in Vivocity, I couldn't resist the temptation to try it at last. Wasn't too great an experience. We requested to sit in the outdoor al fresco area (overlooking the cable car line and bridge to Sentosa), and were seated at the non smoking area. However as soon as we sat down I noticed a man wearing a chef's suit just outside the non smoking area squatting against a pillar smoking, less than 20m from us! Granted, I do not know if the chef was from Mussel Guys, but I suspect it's probable because his smoking break was taken so close to the restaurant. Or could be a rival chef come to do some sabotage. Well it worked, and since the view wasnt too great either, we politely told the waiter that we'll be moving in because of that guy.

The waitress that took our order had abit of trouble speaking English, and at first she told us that the soup was Cream of Mushroom. Later on, she came back to clarify that the soup was "Creamy". She had to repeat herself twice because we both heard various things, such as "Lobster". (possibly also due to the disbelief that they serve "Cream" soup sans even mushrooms!) I finally conceded that she meant "Creamy", and so she went back while we waited for our food.
Lo and behold, the famous "Creamy" soup. It really is just plain cream. They couldn't even be bothered to chop up a few mushrooms to throw inside. It's "Cream of nothing". Watery, gross, and lacking any flavour whatsoever. Yucky start to the meal. I took two sips and put it aside.

Teriyaki beef steak with King prawn. The King Prawn is hiding behind the beef in this picture.

King prawn visible

Norwegian Salmon with Butter Rice. This was very nice, both the rice and the salmon were very nicely prepared.

Of course, what would be a meal at Mussel Guys without Mussels. However, we couldnt find a dish small enough from the menu (minimum was 200gm ~ 12 pcs at $18 or something), so we ordered the appetizer, which was Baked Mussels. It was okay, not really extraordinary though, especially for a place that prides itself on Mussels.

Overall the bill came up to about $50+. Which was overpriced for the value of the food and service we got there. After coming home, I did a quick google search for some reviews of this place, and they all concur that it's not worth going back to.

No comments: